Course Registration Issues and Answers
Have you seen this message -- "PRE/CO-REQ/TEST SCORE ERROR?" Because several Physics courses have co-requisite labs, you must follow specific steps to register online.
STEPS FOR REGISTRATION (for courses with co-requisites):
- DO NOT enter a course number or CRN.
- Instead, search PHY and your campus to open ALL of the Physics Courses.
- Check the boxes on the left for your desired class and lab section. (The courses must be entered at the same time, and using checkboxes is the best way to accomplish this.)
- At the bottom of the page, click Register.
If you are unsuccessful, realize that Course Restrictions and Co-requisites are not visible in Bannerweb. To see course restrictions, such as courses limited to majors or first-years, go to Course List at MyMiami. These are common course restrictions:
- PHY181F and 182F sections are reserved for first-year students. If you have AP CREDIT, you may have to force-add to get into first-year (181F) sections.
- Some sections of PHY181F and PHY182F are restricted to Physics Department majors only. Check the course list if you are not able to register.
- PHY181P and 182P are for certain Engineering majors not required to take our lab. AP credit that exempts you from taking the lab may be treated differently. Check with your advisor.
Other Error Messages:
CAMPUS RESTRICTION - This section is restricted to students on a specific campus.
CLASS RESTRICTION - This section is restricted to students in a specific class level, e.g. Senior, Junior, etc.
COLLEGE RESTRICTION - This section is restricted to students from a specific academic division/college/school.
LEVEL RESTRICTION - This section is restricted to students at a specific level, either graduate or undergraduate.
FIELD OF STUDY RESTRICTION - This section is restricted to students in specific majors/minors/thematic sequences.
PROGRAM RESTRICTION - This section is restricted to students in specific degree programs.
Change of Schedule forms are online at the registrar's website, and you need only the signature of the course instructor to force-add physics classes. Once the signature of the instructor is obtained, it is your responsibility to turn in the form to the registrar. Instructor contact information
Physics Department Chief Departmental Advisor: Steve Alexander, contact information.